Saturday, February 18, 2012

2012 First Leg

Tanque de Tiburon at Santa Rosalia's
Singlar Marina.

The boat's ready, we need to hit the road.
Having moved the boat to Marina San Carlos in July, 2011, it was time to flee the safe harbor and head to the big, scary ocean. All our old boat friends are scattered and off cruising already - we're late! S/v Sea Bourn is already in La Cruz. s/v Yemaya is in La Paz as is s/v JUCE. S/v Gosling is half way to El Salvador. We're late! And Old S/v Summer Wind is sold. S/v Freedom of Kirkland is in Z'huat....we really miss the old gang! But we did get a good visit with m/v Venture Forth. So many are either for sale, sitting and waiting...the cruiser community seems to have a 3-4 year cycle and we are seeing transitions in cruiser faces.

15/16 Feb: Following a dinner with Tom and Joan on Valentine's Day at their home in San Carlos, Tom returned to the boat early Feb 15th and shoved us out of the marina, en route to the Baja. We made a short stop in Algodones Bay for an anchoring shake-down. Later in the afternoon and with a good weather window predicted, we actually set sail to the Santa Rosalia.

Tom at the dock and happy Bill at the helm.

After a beautiful 3-hoursail...we lost the wind and turned on the motor. Later in the evening, the wind picked up
and, of course on our nose, and we saw 32 knots through the night. And it was cold! We bundled in our layers. No sea life to see, either. Just
dang wind.

What we anticipate as usually 70+ miles in about 18 hours turned out to be a 24 hour run with 4-6 foot seas and wind on the nose, all night. It was a very long night and Bill did most of the driving, giving the auto-pilot (Otto) a rest with the turbulent seas and wind. But basically not sleep for either of us.

We arrived in a rain drizzle that actually cleaned off the boat somewhat and as we pulled into a slip at Marina Singlar about 1600, there was actually a double rainbow out over the ocean beyond the bay!! So we take that as a good omen for the rest of the trip.

After a hot shower, we walked into town to Terco's for Xochitl soup and a cold
beer. Santa Rosalia is a lovely town and everyone seems so happy, busy and friendly.

We stumbled back to the boat and hit the sack by 2030...and slept to 0600, like zombies.

The next AM, the northern Baja ferry pulled in behind us. Here's Linda at the dock by our boat and the ferry behind.

17/18 Feb: Relaxing, refueling and refreshing ourselves, we stayed in Santa Rosalia and extra day. Today we took the bus to Mulege to deliver boat parts
(that would be propane tanks and Bourbon...) to m/v Hi Jinx (owners from Bisbee). Their boat is down in Burro Bay and Jinx and Mad Dog have a car, met us in Mulege, gave us a driving tour, had carnitas for lunch then they drove us back to our marina - about 38 miles. Nice to finally see Muilege - a cute town!

Tomorrow we head around Punta Chivato.
PS My new mint plant and herbs are sprouting! Gardening aboard! Mint is for Mojitos....

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you are back sailing again! Sounds like 2011 was a rough year - glad it is behind you.